[HAM] Pari

Henning Højen henning at hojen.net
Sat Jul 2 06:39:58 CDT 2005

Hello,
My name is Henning Höjen, I’m from Denmark.
I just read on a website a question/ answer concerning an organ identified
as a Pari.
The answer expressed doubt in the detailed workwise of these instruments, so
I feel to clear this up a bit, as I’m iin posession of some schematics on a
couple of the models, an I had them both as “real-world”. One was an XT0.
the other one was named “Attack”, firstmentioned with built-in speakers, the
other one a”stand alone”-model, similar to the Hammond P 100.
Basically they worked the same way as Hammond, although the generator was
built up as 12 “drums” with material removed so the “tonewheels” were
formed. There were up to 8 “wheels” on each drum, and the number of “waves”
on the tonewheels was a multiplum of 2 starting at 2 and ending up with 256.
The drums were arranged on an axis each, 12 in a row, and there were
gearwheels on bothe sides to form the chromatic row, somewhere I also have
the numbers of teeth on these gearwheels. The pickups were just 3-4mm
iron-rods wound with each  with a coil, and mounted on a common magnet, and
there were filtering on each single pickup to avoid interference and hum.
There was a phase-shift-line to form the basic vibrato-system, and it had
the scanner too to detect the points in the phase-shift-chain. Meanwhile,
the scanner was very simple, it was just a rotating and a stationary
“condenser” as simple as possible, just like the drawing in the
Hammond-schamatics !!!!!, and driven by an O-ring-belt from a pulley on the
generator.
The motor was a Papst, and the connection to the generator was an O-ring
belt too, so how they got the organ into “standard-tuning” I don’t know!!
The XT0 was in fact very similar to the Hammond M100 in the sound, and had
the same facilities, among these a very good percussion.
If someone might be interested I have schamatics on both models, I would be
very happy to ship copies.

As the gearwheels were the absolute weak point in these instruments it all
came to an end when the teeth were torn off . As the bearings in the
generators needes oil and this caused the wheels to queld and at last to be
destroyed a part of the organ became silent. The production stopped during
the 70ies and hence the gearwheels. I tried to build together the electronic
part of the organ with a  generator from am Hanmmond L 100, but there was
apparantly a mismatch in impedance, so it was not a big success, but ok, it
COULD play - - very wealkly !!
Some years ago I bought a Hammond M3 and got rid of all the problems !!!!!!!

The very best Regards
Henning Höjen